How to Find Out the Pitch Of My Roof:
Have you ever needed to know the pitch of your roof for a project or installation? Have you ever simply been curious about the pitch of your roof? Well, you have come to the right place. You can do this on your own, in a safe way, without having to climb up on your roof.
In order to find out the pitch of your roof, all you need is a level, a tape measure, and writing utensil (preferably a pencil). If you have a level that already has measurement markings on it then you can skip the second step. Just make sure to use the 12 inch marking on your level.
1. Access your attic space and walk to over to a roof rafter.
2. Using the tape measure, measure 12 inches on the level and make a mark.
3. Put the level up against the bottom of a roof rafter and keep it level and stationary.
4. Take the tape measure and measure up from the 12 inch marking on the level. Record your measurement.
Roof pitch is calculated as the rise divided by the run, or the vertical distance divided by the horizontal distance.
5. Take your recorded measurement and divide it by 12 inches.
6. The ratio this calculation produces is the pitch of your roof.
Example: If the vertical measurement is 7 inches, the pitch of your roof would be 7 in 12.
If you have any further questions or would like to inquire on a project or installation, please contact our office at (918) 558-ROOF (7663).